Brary - Earlier this week I worked on the magazine ingestion part of the process. This exposed several issues that I need to address:
- Cover images sometimes aren't rendered. I'm not exactly sure why but for some reason the API call to fetch the data for the particular magazine issue doesn't return the cover image URL. I suspect I'm not wrapping individual files in a transaction.
- I have rendering issues. I'm using flexbox extensively, but I'm finding there are some overflow issues with my styling that cause parts of the screen to render outside of the content area. It isn't the end of the world, but it is very annoying.
- I need to allow the use of the keyboard when scrolling through pages and pages of magazines. At the moment, I have to use the mouse to scroll. It would be nice to be able to use the page up / down keys, or even access a scroll bar.
- I need to make the ingestion process faster. It took well over an hour to process the 1000 magazines I have on my NAS. This may take some time to research as it is already fairly streamlined.
- The update process needs work... a lot of work.
Docker scripting - At work we have a process that allows our testers to verify our changes before we merge into master. This process involves pulling Docker images that are built for each branch. One of the images requires we install a certificate in the container which is done via the "-v" switch of the "docker run" command. Prior to the latest release of Docker for Windows I was able to use %cd% to provide an absolute path. For whatever reason this broke in the latest release. I figured out that you can do string replacement within batch files simply by doing this:
- SET KEY=%KEY:<from>=<to>%
For instance, the following example will replace all backslash characters with a forward slash character:
- SET KEY=%KEY:\=/%
Anyway, once I figured this out, I was able to get the process working again by using the substituted string in the -v switch.